Our Cutting Edge Paint: Elastomeric Paint. Literally, Out-of-this-World Performance
Elastomeric Coatings were originally developed by NASA for use on the space program. Research by other private compagnies has allowed the technology to be now used for paints for use in homes, cars, boats, and roofs.
Elastomeric paint is a durable, thick, rubberized paint product with high acrylic content. It is normally water-based and when applied correctly, creates a waterproof membrane between the masonry layer and the outer elements. This paint have 300% elasticity, last for an extensively long time and can be applied to any kind of masonry surface. It is suitable for stucco, concrete blocks, wood and T-111 sliding.
Elastomeric paint properties
- Elastomeric wall coatings are made with 100% acrylic binders.
- Their coating thickness is 4-5 times more than that of latex exterior paint.
- When temperatures dip, these flexible coatings stretch thus preventing cracks.
- As the temperature gets back to normal, cracks shrink in size. The paint coating also shrinks and gets back to its original shape leaving back no wrinkles or warps.
- The water-resistant qualities ensure that moisture does not penetrate or crack the masonry.
- When this paint is used correctly, it will prevent water from penetrating underneath the finish.
- These paints can last for a very long time when applied by a professional painter, in fact for more than 15 years.
- Elastomeric paints have a thicker consistency when compared to other top quality coatings.
- Elastomeric coatings are a wonderful solution for surfaces that tend to develop cracks repeatedly.
- The finish is wonderful thus improving the aesthetics of the exteriors.
Elastomeric stucco paint
Stucco exteriors tend to develop heavy cracks. These cracks might allow water to penetrate into the walls. Varying temperatures cause cracks in the masonry walls as a result of expansion and contraction. The problem worsens if water gets into the crack and freezes, water expands when it freezes, thus forcing the crack to expand further. Elastomeric stucco paint helps in bridging and repairing these cracks.
Stucco is a cement based product and does not have room for expansion or contraction; this is the prime reason for cracks on stucco masonry. Stucco masonry does develop cracks and a crack of up to 1/8 inch is acceptable in stucco exteriors. These cracks should not be refilled with stucco or caulk, elastomeric paint is the perfect solution for stucco masonry.
These paints fill the existing cracks and also help in bridging prospective cracks (small ones). It also helps in creating a waterproof exterior surface by acting as a sponge; preventing the stucco from absorbing rain water.
Elastomeric stucco paint properties
- Acts as a water-repellant between stucco and the outer elements
- It can fill cracks up to 1/8 inch.
- It has 300% elasticity
- Applying 2 coats ensures maximum durability
Elastomeric acrylic paint qualities
Elastomeric acrylic paints are used to bridge the cracks formed on the stucco exteriors without causing wrinkles or ruptures. Their qualities include durability, excellent elastic recovery, abrasion resistance, low-dirt pick up, etc. These elastomeric acrylic paints have adequate breathability thus preventing moisture build-up.
- Bridges cracks
- Excellent durability/long standing
- Water proof
- Resistance to UV rays
- Minimizes dirt pick-up
- Low odor
- Retains original color for a long period
Shortfalls of Elastomeric paints
- Expensive when compared to normal paints.
- This paint can be applied using special equipment only.