Your house is your canvas. Here's how to choose paint colors that will bring out its beauty and character.
- Begin with colors suggested by your roof and masonry.
- Consider the color schemes used inside your home. Exterior colors should harmonize with the interior.
- Don't clash with your neighbors! Choose colors that coordinate with the buildings around you.
- Large surfaces make paint look lighter. Consider selecting darker shades.
- Remember that very bright or very deep colors will fade.
- To emphasize architectural details, outline them with an accent color that contrasts with the background.
- Use darker colors to emphasize shadows and lighter colors to show projections.
- Avoid extreme contrasts. Choose colors that are related.
- Study color samples outside, but never in direct sunlight. Bright sun will distort the color.
- Photocopy a sketch or photograph of your house. Use watercolors or colored pencils to try color combinations.
- Before buying large quantities of paint, buy quarts of your selected colors and paint one area of your house.
- If possible, consider having a painting contractor.
- Take your time... be creative... and have fun!